So this recipe was born at the end of summer, out of the need to use up an EXCESSIVE amount of zucchinis from my grandparents phenomenal garden. I can’t say no to fresh vegetables and they can’t seem to stop giving them to me – it’s usually a win-win. I often grate them up and freeze them so that I can make lots of chocolate zucchini bread through the winter. However, this year they gave me a zucchini approximately the size of my leg, and I had already frozen a bunch of it – but it was beginning to take over my freezer so I needed to use some up fast! Enter – the best ever veggie fritters.
I’m not really a huge zucchini fan, but these fritters are actually so yummy! They’re crispy on the outside and so tasty inside, and they almost feel cheesy – it’s hard to believe that they’re chock full of veggies! My husband kept referring to them as “the-best-ever-veggie-fritters” so I quickly wrote down everything we did on a yellow sticky note and stuck it to the side of the fridge. Do you guys have recipes like that?
- 2 cups of grated carrot (about 3 medium carrots)
- 2 cups of grated zucchini (about 2 regular sized zuchinnis)
- 1 small onion, minced finely
- 1/2 red pepper, minced finely
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup corn flake crumbs (you could use bread crumbs instead)
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 chopped green onions (including the whites)
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- salt and pepper (be generous)
Lemon Dipping Sauce: (Optional topping)
- 2-3 tbsp greek yogurt
- lemon juice
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. The consistency should be tacky and it should stick to itself. You can add a little more flour if you need too.
- Form patties. Make sure they’re pretty flat, about 1/2″ thick and about the size of a cookie. This recipe yields 16.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat and fry the fritters for 2 minutes on each side to get a nice crispy crust! Use a splash screen, or a lid to avoid the splatter.
- Transfer them to a baking tray or stone and bake them for 30min at 350º to cook through the centres.
- Serve immediately with ketchup or the yummiest greek yogurt/garlic/lemon dipping sauce.
Let me know how you like them!