I’m thrilled to be sharing another great supper salad! This one is hearty and filling, and yet so fresh and zippy. It does all the right things, and has all the right junk in all the right places. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free AND a fun way to get in lots of veggies and some healthy fats (thanks avocado). But sometimes you still need dat bacon in your life and that’s okay too – it’s all about balance, right?
I can also attest to the AMAZING leftovers. As always with salads, this works best if you only dress what you put on your plate and don’t dress the entire salad when you make it. So plan on having a fabulous lunch the next day at work after you make this meal! Also plan on bringing gum so you’re not breathing garlic-fire-mustard-onion breath on your colleagues.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or plain white vinegar)
- 1 tbsp regular mustard
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- pinch of salt
- 3 chicken breasts or 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup diced bacon
- 4 cups washed and chopped romain lettuce
- 1 cup grape/cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup corn kernals
- 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced or diced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- Thoroughly combine all the marinade/dressing ingredients.
- Pour half into a shallow dish or large ziplock bag to marinate the chicken in, leave to marinate for two hours if time permits (if not, don’t worry!). Put the rest of the untouched (by chicken) dressing into the fridge for later.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan over medium-high to high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Carefully place chicken in pan, and do NOT move them around – you’re looking to get a nice golden brown sear on the outside. Flip and sear the other side until chicken is cooked through. (Or if you’re using a oven safe pan, you can toss it in the oven and bake the chicken after you’ve seared the outside) Either way, make sure you set it aside and let it rest for 5-10 minutes after it’s cooked.
- Clean the pan and fry the bacon.
- Slice chicken on the diagonal into strips and assemble salad with remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle the reserved dressing from the fridge over your salad and toss to combine, top with fresh cracked black pepper if you like!
Enjoy! Let me know how it goes by using #marybethmakes !