Okay, okay, okay. Are you ready to hear the secret to crispy-delicious-perfectly baked french fries? The secret is cold water! You have to soak the fries in cold water before you bake them, it helps release some of the starch and makes ALL the difference. I’m serious, you cannot skip this step. It takes a little longer, but it is so worth it!
- 3-4 large red potatoes
- splash of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- sprinkle of cayenne
- salt and pepper
- Using a sharp knife cut potatoes into 4-5 oblong discs, and then cut those into fry shapes. (Don’t worry about peeling the potatoes, you can use a little extra fibre from the skin!)
- Soak fries in cold water for at least an hour, or up to 24 hours. (Sometimes I’ll prep them the day before if I want to save time the next day when I’m cooking!)
- When you’re ready to make them, pre-heat the oven to 350º with your baking pan/sheet/stone in the oven.
- Strain and rinse the fries thoroughly in a colander in the sink.
- Spread the fries onto a dry absorbent tea towel and pat to dry, as well as possible.
- Add them to a large mixing bowl with the olive oil and spices, using a large spoon stir thoroughly to ensure every fry is coated. Salt and pepper generously.
- Remove heated baking tray and spread the fries in an even layer – they should be sizzling as they hit the hot pan!
- Bake for 50-60 min, removing the pan from the oven and flipping/tossing the fries 2-3 times during baking.
- You’ll know they’re ready when they are golden brown and crispy!
- Serve with ketchup or lemon dipping sauce (recipe here in the Best Ever Veggie Fritters post!)
Spices are adjustable, you can easily switch them up and make garlic parmesan fries, oregano fries or keep it simple with salt and pepper!